[EFM] Reviewing IEEE P802.3ah/D1.414

Dear Members of the IEEE 802.3ah EFM Task Force,

I appologize for the flurry of emails, but I want to offer some
additional information that I would like you to consider when
reviewing IEEE P802.3ah/D1.414.

During your review of D1.414, please use the tools and
instructions provided at the following URL to submit comments
on the draft:

http://www.ieee802.org/3/efm/public/tools/index.html

You might be wondering why the draft is identified as
D1.414, rather than something more mundane like D1.4.
The answer is that this is a very critical draft, because it is
the penultimate version that we will produce prior to seeking
approval to submit a draft for ballot in the IEEE 802.3
Working Group. I chose the identifier D1.414 (which is a
good approximation of the square root of two) because I
felt it would stand out in your minds.

I hope that you will thoroughly examine the document for
any value or text that is identified as "To Be Defined", or TBD, or
t.b.d..  We must arrive at values or text for each of these instances
before we will be allowed to submit the draft for balloting in the
IEEE 802.3 Working Group.  In other words, a TBD is a
roadblock to progress, and we have to get rid of every one of them.

Also, now is a good time to look at the clauses that are outside of
your area of primary interest.  Look for inconsistencies between
clauses, and areas where one clause effects another.  In particular,
look at Clause 30, which describes management for 802.3, to
assure yourself that all of the required objects, attributes, actions and
notifications have been described.

Remember, our draft must be"complete with no open technical issues"
before it can go out for ballot.  Please review D1.414 with
this requirement in mind.

Sincerely,

Howard Frazier
Chair, IEEE 802.3ah EFM Task Force