From: John Messenger [mailto:jmessenger@advaoptical.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 5:36 AM
To: 'Yonghong Ren'; 'stds-802-3-efm@ieee.org'
Subject: RE: [EFM] Should There Be A Sequence Number In Variable Request/R esp onse PDUs?

Hi,

At least the responses contain the information on which values are being returned, so to some extent one can simply use that as a kind of correlator.

However, I agree that a correlator field might well be useful to correlate requests and responses, but I'd recommend calling it a correlator rather than a sequence number, and avoid any language requiring it to be incremented in each request etc.  Simply say that the correlator from the variable request PDU should be returned in each resulting variable response PDU - then, anyone who wanted to, could set it to a unique value, and anyone else could just set it to zero and ignore it when returned.

Does anyone else have an opinion?

Cheers,
    -- John