[EFM] RE: EFM OAM

Glen,

Thanks for forwarding this interpretation question to me.
As a member of the IEEE RAC, I would like to clarify the
meaning of:
  The EUI-64 values shall be sold within electronically readable parts;
  no more than one EUI-64 value shall be contained within each component
that is manufactured.

Example:
A vendor (such as Dallas Semiconductor) could choose to sell EUI-64
identifiers as a commercial product, perhaps at Fry's
(my friend tells me they have, but I haven't confirmed),
then they each device (typically <$0.50) can have only one EUI-64.
The intent is to avoid subcontracting of further subassignments.

There is no intent to restrict the number of protocols that can be
supported by any device. A perfectly acceptable procedure is
to assign one EUI-64 to each protocol, while allowing any device to
select freely which of the protocols its supports, as your group
desires.

As the author of the EUI-64, I feel confident in this interpretation.
I have copied this to the IEEE/RAC, to remove any possible doubts.

DVJ

David V. James
3180 South Ct
Palo Alto, CA 94306