RE: [EFM] Changes to 100BASE-X and 1000BASE-X PCS, 10G RS

With great fear I here tread....

As we prepare for this discussion a 2 weeks, let us remember that one of the
principal reasons for standardizing 100M and 1G optics at 10km is that the
parts available from the industry (when we started) could not be assured to
be mutually interoperable. In many cases, under many conditions, they were
probably interoperable. To create a standard that assures backward
interoperability with parts that were themselves
not-necessarily-interoperable... well, I think that this might be an effort
in futility.

In short, even if we choose to remove the OAM requirements, there is no
assurance that even with the an identical PCS that the parts will "play
nice."

For my part, if we were going to allow OAM to be an option, I would strongly
prefer that it be an option like 802.3ad, which a customer can readily
identify as a supported feature on a spec sheet, and not an option that is
buried in a PIC table and not readily exposed to the buyer. Yes, I realize
that 802.3ad was a project, not a clause. Yes, I understand that doing
anything like this with OAM is not possible at this stage. That would have
required a separate project.

jonathan