RE: [EFM] RE: EPON TDMA

Glen:
  I would not agree with your description that Stat Muxing and
DBA are two different things.

Stat Muxing can happen at different levels.
The traffic from the behind the ONU (could be a LAN) is
Stat Muxed in the ONU. This level of stat Muxing is obtained
both by SBA (static bandwidth allocation) and DBA.
The next level of possible Stat Muxing is between traffic from
different ONUs. This can be obtained only by DBA. Our presentation
and our traffic studies show that Stat Muxing between ONUs is
important because even the data traffic after the first level of stat
muxing is very bursty. As you can see in our presentation, simple DBA
can provide 20-30% improvement (based
on traffic type) over SBA schemes. I would further like to note that
the efficiency numbers you show in your presentation can only
be achieved only theoritically at infinite delay. It will be useful
to the group show the delay of a TDMA based scheme as a function of
efficiency.
It seems to me that there is a consensus in this group that
dynamic adaptation is required though there are differences on how
exactly and on what time scale the adaptation is done.

I also heard a comment in this thread that QoS is not within the
scope of the project. Subscriber access is a new space for Ethernet.
Ethernet never tried to support voice, video and data. It is necessary
provide mechanisms in the EFM standard to provide some level of
QoS support. I will try to make the case with an example. If a
Voice packet arrives behind a large data packets, mechanisms to transmit
voice packet ahead of the data packet will be useful. The arguement
presented in this thread is that this should be performed above the
MAC. How will a higher layer entity know the size and interval of the
time slot for this ONU? How can one control the timing between a
physical layer running at Gbps and a high layer running on a different
clocks? These interfaces are important if different vendors are to
implement different parts of the overall system and they are expected
to interoperate. While we do not want to burden the standard with
ATM like QoS we need some "lite" mechanisms to differentiate service.

regards,
Ajay