RE: [EFM] EFM Requirements

No, I believe we should be looking to maximise the penetration for EFM and thus increasing its value. by that I mean its capability to meet requirements, hence longer reach and high bandwidth. 256K is narrowband IMHO, and is of little use apart from a home user wishing to browse the web.

EFM should be about the next generation of broadband networks for carrier deployment, MTU and in building is just a consequence of the effort, not the reason. The carrier last mile is the last area at which Ethernet is needed to crack the ATM/TDM stranglehold on the carrier space.

-----Original Message-----
From: Vladimir Oksman [mailto:oksman@broadcom.com]
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 12:12 AM
To: Lough, Andy
Cc: Frank Miller; Hugh Barrass; Sherman Ackley; Stds-802-3-Efm (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [EFM] EFM Requirements

Andy,

    I understand your point. There always will be facilities which can't
be currently reached by the desired service solution. Particularly, for
5.5km you mentioned I expect the bit rate of anout 128-200 Kbit/s. That
could be done and actually is already done by RADSL, SHDSL and maybe
others. Does it solve your problem?

Vladimir.