From: Bob Barrett [mailto:bob.barrett@fourthtrack.com]
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2001 4:00 AM
To: Sukanta ganguly; ramu_raskan@angelfire.com; stds-802-3-efm@ieee.org
Subject: RE: [EFM] EFM Requirements

Any active switch that serves multiple (business) subscribers is going to
need to be resilient. This needs to be reflected in the business case
comparisons.

I am not convinced that the raw fiber plant requirement for EPON is any
different to that for p2p in the real world. In dense areas there is logic
in co-locating splitters and fanning out the tail circuits. The only
difference is passive or active equipment at the 'hub'. Both topologies look
like physical stars. Note that a lot of real-world SONET / SDH rings also
look like physical stars too.

Can carriers comment on this please?

Bob