From: Harry Hvostov [mailto:HHvostov@luminous.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2001 6:09 PM
To: 'Geoff Thompson'; Sherman Ackley
Cc: stds-802-3-efm
Subject: RE: [EFM] EFM Requirements

Geoff,

Whether the truck roll is required may be a big deal. Given the current cable modem costs, the service call expense may be too dear.

There is nothing that prevents a self installable ONU box from providing a network demark function. The ONU can act as a managed network element reachable from the provider network, while offering a layer 2 data forwarding function to the subscriber only.

Harry