From: Geoff Thompson [mailto:gthompso@nortelnetworks.com]
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2001 12:43 PM
To: Faye Ly
Cc: Harry Hvostov; Geoff Thompson; Sherman Ackley; stds-802-3-efm
Subject: RE: [EFM] EFM Requirements

Faye-

I believe that you misunderstood me, see below:

At 11:18 AM 8/20/01 -0700, Faye Ly wrote:
Harry,

But I thought we (EFM) are not dealing with OAM&P issues as to
'plug and play ONUs'?  Where the demark point is, seems to me, is not
crucial to the plug and play ONUs.

A fully plug and play ONU actually involves more than just demark point but also
the application that will deal with:

1. loop qualification
2. PC installation software
3. Diagnostic software such as ping or traceroute

I am not sure this is something we need to talk about at this forum but I do agree
with you that 'no truck roll' is essential to the deployment of the EFM technology.
But I also agree with Geoff that where the demark point is probably is besides the point.

I do not think that location of the demarcation point is beside the point.
I do think that who owns the physical box that encompasses the demarcation point is beside the point.
I do think that whether the physical box that encompasses the demarcation point is purchased from the exchange carrier or via the retail channel is beside the point

-faye

Geoff