Re: RE: [EFM] EFM Active Architectures

[Second attempt at getting this message out... ]

Frank Effenberger,

Yes, as with Dave's half-PON concept which I also like very
much, the TDM and slicing options are also of interest and
certainly deserving of further investigation.

The thing that occurs to me, at least in the two optical
tracks of EFM (p2p and pt-mpt), is this:

How do either of these proposed designs, or _any_ of the
others, for that matter, lend themselves to extensibility
to higher speeds down the road? Stated another way, should an
approach that "locks in" an upper bound on throughput be of
concern? As in, being able to deliver the next two powers
of 10 beyond 100Mb/s (since 100 is often cited as the target
delivery rate at this time), at least, without a major forklift
when they arrive. What happens to be friendly at 100 Mb/s
between the OLT and/or the field "thingie" and the ONU at
this time may not be as friendly at 10Gb/s or higher.

Or, is this even something that should concern EFM at this time?

FAC