Re: [EFM] NTT, Ethernet

on 8/23/01 5:30 AM, Liu, Dong (Dong) at dongliu1@agere.com wrote:

> This NTT's strategy is P2P Ethernet, not EPON. What does it mean to EPON
> people? This is not only happening in Japan, in fact this took place earlier
> in China and Korea, and it moves in a much faster pace than PON (no matter
> ePON or aPON), as I just visited China and Japan market.
>
> If P2P moves so fast, shouldn't ePON people feel more pressure now from EFM
> within rather than competing with aPON? The competition is not from aDSL,
> cable modem, or MMDS, but from within EFM.
>
> Dong

Dong:

We met major players of PON, including NTT and ones in US in charge of FTTH.
At this moment, the major players in US are not interested in p2p at all for
the future high speed fiber line, although some areas are connected by p2p
for moderate speed.
This is quite different from what you heard. NTT is not sure when FTTH
project will be deployed at full speed because of the financial problem of
NTT West.
They will make some announcement sometime in this October. At this moment,
nothing is sure.

Yusuke