Re: FW: [EFM] EFM Requirements

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 18:50:25 -0500  Roy Bynum wrote:

>  From everything that is being said here, what is actually being inferred
> is that there is a requirement for a service communications channel
> embedded in the signalling overhead.  This would something equivalent to
> the DCC in SONET.  Right?

Actually Roy, I think Howard Frasier just did a great job of
refocusing the discussion.  If I understand his message correctly, our
goal is to:

"writ[e] an 802.3 standard, which means that our scope
 is limited to the MAC, the PHY, and layer management.  Fortunately,
 these are very well defined and narrowly scoped areas for study."

I could not agree more that we should concentrate on this task.
Apologies for ever getting involved in talking about DOCSIS,
intelligent CPEs, etc.  Howard is right; and I believe his message
settled all these discussions.  It certainly did in my mind.

regards,
fletcher