RE: FW: [EFM] EFM Requirements

I detected no sarcasm from Ramu, just facts.

1) Don't confuse market adoption rates with the quality of a standard.
DOCSYS sucks as a standard because how it was drafted.  It is a skunk to
design silicon to.  We can't do a DOCSYS design because as 'IEEE 802.3 a
standards body' we are not a 'club' or 'Forum' so we are limited by the dumb
rules on what we can work on.  DOCSYS is out or our bounds.
2) We could start a Forum to standardize DOCSYS over wire and optics.  I
think this is what you are advocating.  I still don't see any technical
relationship between DOCSYS and Ethernet except they share the same market
nitch.  What gives?
3) Last, the IEEE is unusual as we do have to strive to meet an informed
consensus and sometimes we are only marginally informed. We strive to meet a
majority agreement among individual engineers who get to vote.  In ITU-T we
represent countries driving towards consensus, and in the DSL Forum we
represent companies who vote for the majority.

Just trying to help.  We can only do work for which our standards body is
allowed to accomplish by our superior organizations which grant us the
exclusive world-wide rights to standardize Ethernet.  Somehow I don't think
a tuneable bandpass modem for coax, or DOCSYS is Ethernet.  We are limited
to working on Ethernet.

But, if you find it is Ethernet we can work on it and I am out of line on
this thought.

Daun.