Re: [EFM] EFM x 802.3ah - broad picture x narrow scope

Carlos,

Aside from the etymology of EFM (which Geoff addressed) I agree with what you
have said.

I think the important distinction is that:

802.3ah defines PHY characteristics (and minimal changes to the MAC).

It is up to the system vendors to develop a system that supports subscriber
access and, furthermore, the integrators to come up with a complete subscriber
access package.

Within the task force, it is worth keeping an eye on what will be required in
the real world but only from the point of view that the PHY shouldn't prevent
the correct function of the layer 1 through 7 (or 9!) solution.

Hugh.