From: owner-stds-802-3-efm@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-efm@majordomo.ieee.org] On Behalf Of Geoff
Thompson
Sent: September 4, 2001 6:03 PM
To: fkittred@gwi.net
Cc: stds-802-3-efm@ieee.org
Subject: Re: [EFM] OAM loop back / echo server function

Fletcher-

I don't think this is a stupid question.
I don't think we need an IP level PING
A L2 ping would do, perhaps even better, the demarc would look for PING
type and then just swap SA & DA.
My expectation is that the demarcation device will need a MAC address My
expectation is that the demarcation device will probably end up with an
IP address in order to support:
         SNMP for OA&M
         Firewall services for the subscriber

(That issue is, of course, beyond our scope)

Geoff