RE: [EFM] OAM loop back / echo server function

Francois,

If the management is "in band" then I can not use this technology for
anything other than "best effort" type services.  As a service provider, I
am in need of something that I can support "Private Line" type services for
businesses.  "Private Line" is still the dominant data communications
service  requested by business customers of many service providers, to
build the secure enterprise networks.  Business "Private Line" is the
highest margin service in the suite of services that can be provided.

I am hoping that with EFM, edge link infrastructure can be built that will
provide remote physical layer operations support that will allow legacy as
well as legacy free service providers the ability to support Ethernet
service customers.  Without EFM, service providers are having to put
expensive multi-layer systems with separate management communications
directly on each customer primese.  While this may not be very expensive
today, it will not scale very well, and continuing competition and economic
pressures will soon make that unprofitable.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum