Re: [EFM] OAM loop back / echo server function

Seto-

At 01:03 PM 9/5/01 +0900, Seto, Koichiro wrote:

[Date: 09/05/2001  From Seto]

Geoff,

I can think of one compelling reason for having L2 ping in MAC control which is that service providers do not need to configure unique IP address to each demarc box they would provide to their subscriber customers.  Better yet, a customer may be able to buy a 802.3ah EFM modem at RadioShack and the service provider can check the connectivity without the box being properly IP configured by the customer.

I agree with this goal.
I agree that it should not require IP.
I don't think that means that it needs to be done in MAC Control (but I am certainly open to discussion)

If we are talking about P2P configuration only, each demarc point may not need a unique MAC address provided we standardize one unique MAC control address and EtherType for L2 ping.  At least, service providers do not need to know each MAC address of each customer's demarc box.  (In this case EPON needs to be P2P emulated.)

This brings up the much uglier issue of discovery, also a topic that has always been outside the scope of 802.3.
If there is going to be a bridge or router at the demarc then there will have to be a discovery process that effectively logs the MAC address into the service provider's system. The service provider won't be able to Ping/Echo the box until it knows the MAC address.

I would assume that it would be useful to have an upstream Ping/Echo in the demarc. This one might be advantageous to have a response that comes from the MAC Control sub-layer of the head-end MAC. This would protect the service provider from denial-of-service attacks from a flood of Pings/Echos. Presumably there would be a management object/attribute in the head end that kept track at some level of the p/echo requests (i.e. their SA and how many)

Sincerely,
Seto

Geoff