RE: [EFM] Discovery (it was OAM...)

Francois,

I am not sure about DSL + PPPoE.  In most of the DSL deployment cases
I know, DSLAM (headend) is using proprietary method and they require
CPE vendors to certified with them in order to claim
inter-operatibility.
One vendor does so with a protocol based method.  Perhaps you can
clarify further how does DSL + PPPoE does the discovery?

DSL forum did try to come up with a standard using the OAM channel
as well.  Both cases require the DSLAM providing a station
management capabilities not only for discovery but also for other
things such as inventory.

For most of the cases involved in remote management I have seen, there
are generally two methods:

1. Use dedicated channel or circuit - cases like OAM channel or ILMI
circuit for ATM.
2. Use protocol based method - cases like mingle control frames with
data frames in the same pipe but different frame header.

I suspect since EPON or point to multi-point Ethernet access network
does require some sort of registration and on-going bandwidth
allocation,
we should probably consolidate the 'management channel' (for lack of
a better term) into one methodology.   In another words, IF CPE is
required
to register itself with the headend at startup, we can overload the
registration with other inventory information to complete the discovery
as well.

On the other hand, IF CPE is required to establish a channel with the
headend at startup for registration, it can also be used to complete
the discovery.  Either case will work but I don't quite know where
DSL + PPPoE fit?

-faye