RE: [EFM] TEST frames MAC_Control vs MAC client

Really low cost 10/100/1GE p2p EFM CPEs could be repeaters / media
converters with management.

That spec. supports demac and OAM at minimal cost and complexity.

The user's bridge / router can sort out what traffic gets access to the
service provider's EFM port.

This is a very clean architecture that we are finding acceptance for.

Naturally vendors can build systems with higher layer funtions and EFM
ports. The demarc is then vitualised within the system, but it still a
demarc (like a T1 DSU/CSU with FDL that I keep harping back to).

What say the service providers on this exploder regarding how much
functionality should be within the EFM device?

Is it preferable that the demarc is a physical port and a cable rather than
virtualised within a bigger system that may be owned by the user? (T1
DSU/CSUs were owned by the user after the break up of AT&T, prior to that ma
bell owned 'everything' related to the service.)

Bob Barrett