Re: [EFM] OAM developing Geoff's observation.

Fletcher,

I do not want you to take this the wrong way.

You are prime example of the skew that has been prevalent in the commentary
about the services market.  As an IP services provider, you have a certain
set of requirements.  At present, it is very likely that you deploy your
service infrastructure over some other service providers' inter-machine
trunks, or you have your own high speed long haul infrastructure.  Using
the OSI model of protocol peering, L3 IP services only need IP based
management to be supportable.  The irony is that the most common management
language used by the L1 inter-machine trunk long haul infrastructure is not
IP based, it is TL1.   As far as I know, there are no MIBs defined for TL1
by the IETF.  There are a lot more TL1 managed systems in the world than
there are systems that use IP based management.

There are other services than IP that need to be supported by EFM.  I am
not suggesting using TL1. I simply trying to get everyone to realize that
the overall data communications service provider world is bigger than just
the IP services providers.  What about all the banks in the world that
still use SNA 3270 directly over Ethernet, in spite of the inroads that IP
is making in the rest of the enterprise network environment.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum