RE: [EFM] OAM developing Geoff's observation.

Matt-

At 03:51 PM 9/17/01 -0400, Matt Squire wrote:

This seems like a new and unrealistic requirement.  Simple password
authentication has served users well for a long time.  Although I
understand the benefits of managed certificates, I've also had a taste
of their complexity and the interoperability problems that lay in wait.
Managed certificates for authentication cannot be a requirement for EFM
services.

Passwords and protocols are outside the scope of the EFM project (P802.3ah)
We are defining PHYs for Ethernet, not designing the datastream to be passed over them at anything beyond Physical Layer  encoding.

- Matt

> Malcolm,
>
> User authentication will likely require the use of digital
> certificates and
> key management. As such, this can be transported inside conventional
> Ethernet frames. There is no requirement for additional
> concurrent protocol
> such as PPP to accomplish this.
>
> Harry

Geoff