From: owner-stds-802-3-efm@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-efm@majordomo.ieee.org] On Behalf Of Matt
Squire
Sent: September 20, 2001 8:17 PM
To: stds-802-3-efm
Subject: Re: [EFM] OAM - Faye's seven points

Both OAM and data traffic travel over the same medium.  No matter how we
slice it, OAM traffic does reduce the bandwidth available to the user.
One way to cap that effect is to use a dedicated side-band with a
limited bandwidth.  An alternate way to cap the effect is to
police/shape the OAM traffic at a layer above.  A third alternative is
to use something like a slow protocol which is limited to 5 frames/sec.