Re: [EFM] OAM functionals

Fletcher,

I tend to agree with you about the applicability of my proposals being more
toward the emerging "fiber" market.  My problem is that there is a need for
a common OAM functionality and application.  At present, the only way that
most of the business market can be supported over "data" infrastructure is
with ATM encapsulation.  )In spite of what the "ATM" people might otherwise
say, the use of ATM provides the ability to support a "Private Line" type
of service for businesses.)  This is very expensive in capital and
operations support overhead, and one of the reasons that business DSL is
having a hard time.  If there is a way to simplify the copper OAM to be
able to support the services that customers are actually purchasing from
service providers, then that is what needs to be done.  Method 1 in my
presentation is a variant of existing T1 framing.  Can it work for Ethernet
over copper local loop?  Perhaps; but only if people give it some thought.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum

EFM Method For Adding OCS.PDF