RE: [EFM] 1 Gbps != 999.9 Mbps

Andrew

Good answer, I had been waiting for that one, however, would all the power
users accept this?

And I guess the answer is yes, if it's sold correctly. That's a marketing
issue.

Speaking as a non-service provider I can anticipate the service provider
retort .... (with apologies to Roy).

OK so I offer 999M and that other xLEC is offering 1G to 'my customer' for
less money.

Well, Mr Customer, do you want 999M guaranteed from a service provider with
a track record, or 1GE from some start-up that may go the way of the DLECs?
(Apologies to any one that used to work for a DLEC that's now in chapter
11.)

Although this may seem non-technical it is probably one of the key issues
regarding the side band / in band debate.

The business case for the products resulting from the standards effort needs
to work, else we go the way of the even numbered work groups. Personally I
still think some basic OAM functions for the PHY need to be side band, but I
have described the thought processes behind that philosophy in other emails.
The interfaces for 999M EFM should be an order of magnitude (if not two
orders of magnitude) lower cost than 622M Sonet/SDH interfaces. The core
functions of the routers and switch gear will probably cost the same, its
the interfaces and protocol conversions where the savings will be. The
management and resilience of EFM needs to be comparable to Sonet/SDH to
complete the business case, but that's a vendor specific thing.

Thank you

Bob