RE: [EFM] Network timing, ATM, ADSL/VDSL and EFM

All

Back to Howard's point of a few days ago ..... demarc within a chip.

The demarcation in T1/E1 is somewhere in the middle of the T1/E1 framer/LIU
chip. These chips keep G.821 stats for limited periods and a lot of other
management objects too, for chip set up etc. They have more registers than
you can shake a stick at, read-write and read-only. The remote management
channel (FDL) can be brought out as HDLC or the data from it can be read
from registers, and these chips are very inexpensive.

The FDL based management allows the SP to test the line to within the CPE
(in this case the CSU/DSU or even the T1 interface on a router line card if
it has an integrated CSU/DSU).

This is what the service providers want to do with Gig-E (I had this
re-iterated to me in the UK just yesterday).

	without a security risk from the customer side
		spoofing MAC addresses and VLAN tags drives a coach and horses through the
in-band approach
		you only need one-way traffic for denial of service attack

	without affecting the service offered to the customer
		this is a grey area, but as there is spare bandwidth on the PHY through
the coding
		why bother debating it

Bob Barrett