From: owner-stds-802-3-efm-p2p@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-efm-p2p@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Meir Bartur
Sent: 22 October 2001 20:00
To: raanan@broad-light.com; P2P (E-mail); P2MP (E-mail)
Subject: [EFM-P2P] RE: [p2p],[p2mp] some FEC and BER issues

Raanan,

Bringing FEC to the PMD layer implies that the CDR and the SERDES will
all reside at that layer, which redefine the way transceivers are
standardized today.  It is OK ONLY if the cost/benefit is such that it
"makes or brakes" the system.  Can you provide relative cost for FEC,
for example as a multiplier on a CDR+SERDES IC?

Meir