[EFM] Some question about BM CDR

Dear Mr. Walter,

Thanks for your September presentation. I am very interesting in BM CDR for the EPON system.

From your presentation, guard time is necessary to upstream transmitting, and it was strongly dependent on both optical P1(Strong optical power) and P1/P2(ratio of strong power to weak power, or dynamic range), when P1/P2<3 dB, guard time can be 0, regardless of P1. But I am afraid that I can not agree with you.

In my opinion, guard time is not only dependent on "Dynamic range",but also dependent on "Range Resolution" . When range resolution is +/- 2 bits, guard time should be at least 4 bits. Do you think so?

Best regards.

Quinn.Zhao
October 25,2001. PM.