[EFM] flow control in 802.3

All,

Is there a way to transmit flow control information across an MII interface from the PHY direction to the MAC ? If yes could someone point me to the pertaining clause of 802.3 ?

In other words, let's assume that a PHY for some reason or other can only transmit at 3Mbps while information to that PHY flows at 10Mbps. How can the PHY tell the MAC to stop sending ? I saw some presentations related to 10 Gigabit Ethernet that proposed various mechanisms but I do not know if anything was adopted.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc Kimpe
Adtran