Re: [EFM] RE: [EFM-Copper] the merits of 12 kft and +

Em Qui 01 Nov 2001 19:27, O'Mahony, Barry escreveu:
> BTW,
> "Lifeline Service", as defined by the FCC, is a government-run subsidy
> program  that provide funding to ILECs in order to allow them to offer
> low-cost, measured-usage POTS service to low income subscribers.  I assume
> instead the reference is to POTS backup for CPE power failure(?)  Things
> can get real confusing when you're talking to regulators and use the
> "lifeline" term for this type of thing.

Oops... Did you meant 'Universal Service'?

Universal Service is what you said above. Lifeline service is another thing
entirely; it's the ability for the line to stay in a usable state in the case
loss of electrical power in the customer premises - for instance, in the case
of domestic accidents or because of natural disasters. It is meant for
emergency use. In case of power failure the customer has to be able to call
emergency numbers (think 911). That's why a POTS line has to provide power
for at least one phone (four is a common 'ring equivalence number', but at
least one is *required* for the emergencies).

Of course, regulations vary from country to country. The same also applies to
ISDN, but not in all countries; I believe that the US standard has not remote
power, but the german does - 95 VDC if I remember the spec. Brazilian specs
are derived from european ones, and have the same requirement.

Carlos Ribeiro
CTBC Telecom