[EFM] RE: [EFM-P2MP] Point-to-Point plus Shared Media

John,
	You raise an interesting and important challenge. However, if a system only
supports one view then I think one could make a case that the single copy
broadcast view is more important than the point-to-point view, at least for
the residential market. The reasoning is as follows: let us say that we are
able to do a 64 way split in a year or two. With a point-to-point service
(not emmulation) we would be limited to providing a maximum of 1000/64 = 16
Mb/s of broadcast capacity before we would run out of bandwidth. It would be
even less in practice as we would need to leave some capacity open for data
and administration. 16 Mb/s is not even enough to broadcast one HDTV channel
and no capacity for NVOD. If we ever get to a split of 128 the situation
gets worse.
	Am I right in assuming that the worst inefficiency that would happen by
reflecting all upstream traffic on the downstream is 50%? This seems like a
much smaller penalty to make than the drastic limitation that would occur
with not permiting true broadcast.
	Of course we could allocate a separate wavelength for video broadcast, but
that would be a severe restriction on how service could be deployed. Even
then, there are data broadcast services that would very rapidly eat into
downstream channel capacity.

John Limb