RE: [EFM] EFM OAM on Preamble

Hi Ed,

At 03:44 PM 11/21/2001 -0800, Ed Boyd wrote:

>Hiroshi,
>
>How do you guarantee that the value embedded in the preamble do not
>contain the SFD pattern and cause a false lock?

-RS with OAM handler actually overwrites SFD with CRC at TX side.
  At RX side, RS-OAM only looks at SOP pattern to find a frame.
  When passing frames to MAC, RS converts OAM preamble back to normal
preamble with SFD.
  Therefore SFD pattern in OAM preamble is acceptable.

>Repeaters normally regenerate the preamble and SFD so it would not pass
>through a new value.  I agree that this will only work for full duplex.

-802.3 Repeater is defined only for the half-duplex mode. so not applicable
for preamble OAM.
  ( But If  802.3  had defined full-duplex repeater ( 1port to 1port )
    we would have suggested this new device to support OAM
    in the same way as SONET re-generator : Ethernet re-generator...)

Hope it makes sense to you.

Happy Thanks-giving !!

Hiroshi