[EFM] RE: [EFM-P2MP] Point-to-Point plus Shared Media

-----Original Message-----
From: gerry.pesavento@alloptic.com [mailto:gerry.pesavento@alloptic.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2001 11:32 PM
To: stds-802-3-efm-p2mp@ieee.org; stds-802-3-efm@ieee.org
Subject: RE: [EFM-P2MP] Point-to-Point plus Shared Media

I would appreciate hearing comments/opinions on the above questions.  So far the impression I have is that most are proposing that both P2PE and SE be defined in a below-MAC sublayer, they operate independent of the P2MP control-frame protocol, with implementation decided by the vendor.  Do I have that right....
[Ryan Hirth]
This is still a question.  Where will upstream frames be merged back with downstream frames for SE?  Where will concurent P2PE frames be merged for the downstream? Below the MAC would require collision like back off.  It may be much simpler to merge the flows above the MAC in MAC Control.

These have been defined below the MAC layer so that the PHY ID may overwrite the preamble of the cell which does not exist above the MAC.  However it may be possible to pass the preamble into the MAC from above with each cell.
/Ryan