From: piers_dawe@agilent.com [mailto:piers_dawe@agilent.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2001 7:23 AM
To: Thomas.Murphy@infineon.com
Cc: stds-802-3-efm@ieee.org
Subject: [EFM] RE: Link Model and Return Loss

Tom,

T4, receiver reflection, and G12, transmitter reflection (if you shine light
into a switched-off transmitter, how much comes back?) are used with channel
insertion loss, ISI, extinction ratio and the magic "Reflection Noise
factor" L10 to calculate column N, reflection penalty due to partly coherent
beating of a signal with its own echo.  If wish, you can follow the trail of
references to find more about the formula used.

Piers