Re: [EFM-P2P][EFM] PMD considerations

Bob,

I won't comment on the merits or otherwise of a 100Mbps p2p objective. However,
your anecdote raised two important issues:

1. The customer has a solution and "they would like it standardized."

It is not the purpose of IEEE 802.3 to "standardize" peoples' solutions. It is
our purpose to make the best standards possible where they are required. Would
the customer be equally happy if we said - yes we will make a standard, but it
will not match your deployments?

2. If the customer has a solution which they are deploying, what is their
purpose in requesting a standards effort? It seems that they have a supplier and
a product that meets their needs. If we assume that the 802.3ah task force keeps
to its schedule then there will be no standard until near the end of 2003. Will
the customer's deployment be finished by then?

Hugh.