Re: [EFM-P2P][EFM] PMD considerations

ULf, Hans,

What you are attempting to discuss here is so broad as to defy
quantification.  Each physical infrastructure deployment will be different
based on the specifics of the physical plant requirements.  These will, for
the most part, be highly engineered facilities.  For residential
environments, each neighborhood will be different, with mixes of buried and
areal deployment.  The buried deployments will be very dependant on the
type of soil and climate(hot or cold).  The areal deployments will be
dependant on the humidity and other climate weather conditions.  The cost
of all of these will vary so greatly that only very broad speculations can
be made.  The cost of the same type of construction will vary greatly from
one locale to another.  What will cost one thing in one area, will cost
something totally different in another area.  Even the cost of the
equipment may vary between countries/states because of taxes etc.

About the only generalizations that I can find to be consistent between
locations is that because of the cost of splices and interface ports, PON
seems to be more cost effective for deployment than P2P in residential
areas.  At the same time, in business environments, even with the higher
costs, P2P may be what gets more deployment in building risers because of
the ability to support private line services, which at the present time,
PON can not.  Where there is legacy copper that the incumbent service
providers want to leverage, the Ethernet over extended distance copper will
be used.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum