Re: [EFM] OAM transport: Target Market.

Hi Matt and  OAM teams,

I try to respond for the OAM Preamble.

First of all, I would like to state from where we are coming.
We'd like to emphasize that OAM for the Ethernet is not only for EFM market.
We have the following Ethernet market waiting for OAM standardization.

0) Ethernet to the home ( CO :"Central Office" to CPE )
1) Metro Ethernet : CO to CO  GE/10GE
2) Ethernet for High-end Internet core routers ( CO to CO )
3) Ethernet over DWDM ( on Optical boxes )

Metro Ethernet Forum ( MEF ) team working very hard for the markets 1)& 2)
very much focusing  on Etherent protection ( Line and end-end ). They want
to leverage
IEEE802.3 EFM OAM work for their network. At least OAM transport mechanism
should support their requirements.

ITU-T which initiated their work on native Ethernet  service discussion
last week
and we also got a letter from NTT to EFM. If we look at their documents, it
states
all 1)2)3) configurations.  Ane the main focus seems like  defect indication
at link level as well as end-end levels.

A) These service provider  networks would like to use common Ethernet OAM
transport schemes
with EFM and looking at EFM is the group which standardize the OAM
transport at least for the link level.
And the market size for 1)2)3) ( mainly for business users ) is bigger than
EFM ( residential ) right now.
We can not ignore this point.

B) Both Forum / standardization look at the common requirement :
  Protection. <50msec( both for Link and End-end ).
  This is one of the most significant requirement
   which OAM transport needs to address for them.

C)We are hearing from SP people that they would need
out of band strongly which does not affect user bandwidth.
Even though,  we can prove frame base usage of bandwidth is minimum, in EFM,
going to core network, the arguments are likely not acceptable.

D) Especially, Ethernet Re-generator, Ethernet DWDM transponder / optical
switch can never insert OAM frames
     between user frames ( unless you make it much more expensive  packet
buffering box)
    Frame in the optical network is not an option at all.

These are main reason why we want out-of-band/side-band OAM which can fully
support
carrier class Ethernet protection as well as optical Ethernet OAM.  EFM
does NOT need to specify all the
OAM features for outside the subscriber networks, but the OAM transport
mechanism itself should  address
these capabilities.

I will address the individual items which Matt asked below in a separate email.

Hiroshi