RE: [EFM] [EFM-P2MP] 10G EPONs

Oh dear, I have opened another can of worms ;-).

2.5G is not a 10x speed, so I guess that would go down like a lead balloon
at 802,3.

However 2.5G is a current optical specification. GBICs for 2.5G exist. I
have no idea what the reach and range implications are for 2.5G v 1G, this
in not my field. Vipul should be able to shed some light on this (no pun
intended). The economics may work in favour of 2.5G. I have no idea. I'll
leave that issue to the optics people.

I would think that the (non CSMA/CD) access control mechanism that is
specified for 802.3 EFM p2mp will scale to 10G. Thereafter it would be an
economic and market acceptability argument. This doesn't mean that I want to
stop the 1G EPON work, it just means let's make it scalable to 10G and
beyond.

Let's keep this thread open for debate.

I would invite Gerry Pesavento to respond please.

Best regards

Bob