RE: [EFM] RE: [EFM-P2MP] 10G EPONs (it was MPCP: Report message)

[Bob]
> illegal copying of material could be said to be better with a high
> speed uplink
>
> perhaps this is a good reason _not_ to provide one.

Bob, I assume you must be joking; it deserves some comments anyway...

A telecommunications service provider is *not* responsible for the content
that the user carriers over its service. It may change in the future, but
when I sell Internet access services, the user is fully responsible for
what he does with the link. The SP is not liable for piracy, blasphemy or
misdemeanour on any account. And it *has* to be like this; otherwise SPs
would go under in a short amount of time due to legal actions (it would be
*so* easy to blame the carrier...).

In the end, all we know is that the peer-to-peer communication demand is
growing fast, signaling the need for fat upstream links. The assymmetrical
model do not fits the user need anymore. Direct data transfer between users
can add a lot of value to the system. That's a good reason to work with
symmetrical technologies whenever possible.

Carlos Ribeiro
CTBC Telecom