RE: [EFM] Re: OAM Transport Proposal

Hi Matt and all,

I will address only the issues related to 5) Regenerators and converters.
First of all I want to assume that we consider all the 802.3 interfaces,
including 100 Mbps and GbE.

802,3 defines the above entities. Look at 27. Repeater for 100 Mbps baseband
networks.
The devices that we address are two port full duplex repeaters.
Also 802.3ab makes extensive references to repeater implementations.

And again, the moment that we defined any preamble based capability - see
page 9
of the baseline presentation - we decided to make the appropraite changes
for preamble
support.

I also had some questions, regarding packet based functionality.
This functionality I assume is not fully contained in the new MAC (like the
packet based
flow control functionality). It requires an external processing unit
(CPU+MAC, HW, or whatever).
What is the level of service in the case of a busy link (even malfunctioning
due to a broadcast
storm, etc.)? Do we lose the management capacity for some time?
Wouldn't an out-of-band mechanism (like preamble) be valuable in order to
provide even the
basic management information as defined in the suzuki proposal?

I still think that the compromise should be a functional compromise, that
provide the
best of the two worlds meaning that the capabilities negotiations should
include four
options, and should be done also at the lowest level...

Sergiu

The information contained in this electronic mail is privileged and
confidential, intended only for the use of the individual or entity named
above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in
error, please immediately notify Disclaimer@NBase.com. Thank you.