RE: [EFM] [EFM-OAM] OAM Transport Proposal

Onn,

I don't have a copy of the 802.3 minutes from the St. Louis meeting, so I
can neither confirm nor deny your statement about PHY ID.  If PHY ID
requires 8 bytes of preamble, then they will have to figure out how to
change previous clauses to generate the required 8 bytes.  If PHY ID doesn't
require 8 bytes of preamble, but only enough bytes to pass the PHY ID and a
CRC, then the level of changes will decrease.  I'm also assuming that PHY ID
is inserted or used below the RS.  If not, this will change the impact
dramatically too.

When looking at PHY ID, OAM and EFM in general, we have to look at the full
scope of the project, not just the deltas of each new feature, which leads
to feature-creep.  The impact of OAM addition to 802.3 has more impact on
existing clauses than any of our previous standards efforts.  802.3 has been
reluctant in the past to open up these clauses more than necessary because
of the possibility of breaking something or breaking all existing
implementations in the market.

Cheers,
Brad