[RT] We're talking about responding to bits, such as fault and alarm
here. These conditions may be reported via MIB or MDIO/MDC for
posterity. However, the real value is in fast processing of these
conditions for protection, failover, etc. EFM may go to the residence,
but the residence is attached to the central office. That's where
protection and failover are important.

>                 3) Null/Dummy frames screwing up MIBS.  Yes semantics of the
> undersized
>                 frames variable will have to change to say something like
> "except for
>                 null/dummy frames which are counted by ...".   But I think
> things can be
>                 defined in a way thats backward compatible. This, along with
> only using
>                 those frames when the other side supports it, should have
> the effect of
>                 MIB compatibility.
>
>                 BJB> I get the feeling that there are a lot of people that
> would rather live without this feature.

[RT] Let's stop calling them frames then. These OAM reports don't go to
the MAC and are merely 8-byte link messages not much different in nature
than 10GbE's Local Fault/Remote Fault 4-byte messages.

>                 4) Clauses effected.  We did a preliminary examination of
> the clauses
>                 that needed to be addressed by the proposal.  The following
> is the list
>                 as I see it.
>                   - Clause 30 (Management).  New MIB objects, enhanced
> locally and also
>                 enhanced to include peer info.
>                   - Clause 31 (MAC Control).  Add OAM section, fraem
> formats, protocol
>                 operation, bla bla bla
>                   - Annex 43B.  Add OAM types to slow protocols list, maybe
> change slow
>                 protocol definition, etc.
>                   - Clauses 22 & 45.  New PHY monitoring registers for
> things like RX
>                 power, signal-to-noise ration, etc.
>                   - Annex 30A & 30B.  New OIDs for managed objects.
>                   - Clause (new).  OAM preamble byte format, use,
> description, etc.
>                   - Clause 22 & 35 (RS/MII, RS/GMII) - Dummy/null frame
> generation,
>                 inclusion of preamble transport capability.
>                 The preamble specific changes are the latter two.  Please
> point out if
>                 we're missing some clause changes somewhere.  This list does
> not reflect
>                 which clause changes are significant and which are minor.
>
>                 BJB> Do you have a list of clause editors to perform these
> modifications?
>
>                 - Matt

Richard Taborek Sr.                     Intel Corporation
XAUI Sherpa                    Intel Communications Group
3101 Jay Street, Suite 110    Optical Strategic Marketing
Santa Clara, CA 95054           Santa Clara Design Center
408-496-3423                                     JAY1-101
Cell: 408-832-3957          mailto:rich.taborek@intel.com
Fax: 408-486-9783                    http://www.intel.com