RE: [EFM] Re: OAM Transport Proposal

Rich,

You're alive! ;)

By the way, in response to a previous email of yours, I was aware the Kevin
Daines is working to enhance the OAM baseline.  We have talked a little bit
about it.

I agree that protection, failover, alarms, etc. are important between the CO
and the residence.  That is why I'd advocate a state machine in a sublayer
that is similar in specification to the way Clause 37 operates between the
receive and transmit sides of the PCS.  This would involve a lot fewer
changes to existing clauses.  The state machine would offer fast response
time to these messages/alarms in a timely fashion while reporting to the
management entity via the MDIO/MDC in a non-timely fashion.

As for comparing the link messages in 10GbE with the 8-byte preamble
message, there is a huge difference.  The LF/RF messages in 10GbE are placed
in the IPG, not the preamble.  10GbE doesn't touch the preamble at all.  The
10GbE link messages also don't require a CRC because we use multiple
transmissions and hysteresis to determine the data.  And, 10GbE doesn't do
P2MP.  I am concerned about sending out the 8-byte preamble without an
Ethernet frame.  I just get a gut feeling that this is going to cause a lot
more problems than it is worth, for various reasons that I've already
stated.  If the task force could find a way around needing the 8-byte
preamble message, I think there would be a higher level of comfort from a
lot of people.  Maybe all we need to do is enable periodic MAC control frame
transmission, or go with the assumption that higher layer protocols such as
TCP/IP will always be performing some messaging even if the link slows down.

Cheers,
Brad