RE: [EFM] RE: OAM Transport Proposal

Sanjeev,

I'd recommend you look at the diagrams in 802.3 again.  There is a distinct
line from the top of the RS that indicates that it is considered part of the
PHY.  In the past, the RS has been transparent (state-less) with the only
function of mapping from the media independent interface to the MAC serial
bit streams.  By the way, the MAC service interface is at the top of the
MAC, not at the bottom.

Correct, preamble is a relic of our past.  And in the past, we abused
preamble and wrote the standard to permit shortening preamble, etc.  You'd
have to completely change how preamble is treated to make it something we
can use reliably.

Are you proposing defining a new 100BASE-TX-like or 1000BASE-X-like PHY that
is compatible with what is currently written in the 802.3?  If you are, then
your assumption about being "tasked to define new PHYs" is completely
off-base.  802.3 prefers not having nearly identical PHYs with slightly
different variations depending on OAMinP functionality.  That just won't
fly.  If you want to be able to use existing PHYs, you have to be prepared
to modify them in such a manner that you don't break how they currently work
while adding in your required features.

By how to specify a reaction time, I meant that if you have to rely on using
a management interface such as MDIO/MDC, you have no control over the time
limit.  Clause 28 and 37 use triggers to indicate when registers have been
updated for next page exchanges because we don't know how long it will take
the management entity to respond.  We need to figure out how to specify and
where to specify OAMinP, because it is can cause a lot of problems if not
done correctly.  OAMinF is much simpler in this manner as it doesn't change
the fundamental way Ethernet works, but OAMinP does, so it needs to be
better defined so we don't break the existing standard.

Cheers,
Brad

Brad Booth
IEEE P802.3ae Editor-in-Chief