Re: [EFM] Modulation and Digital Duplexing (DD)

Behrooz,

      the upstream and downstream carriers are always almost orthogonal
otherwise one cannot separate them. The grade of this "almost" in the case of
FDD both MCM and SCM currently use depends on filtering technique. If we assume
that ADC and DAC has unlimited resolution, there could be always found a
suitable bandpass filter to provide small enough crosstalk between upstream and
downstream. DMT is doing that using FFT and windowing as a filter, SCM usually
uses digital filters. I don't know exactly which are more complex, but for now
neither is a problem of digital duplexing we really face.

       The today problem is lack of resolution of ADC and DAC to deal with echo
(assuming relevant implementation for the  hybrid). Thus all mostly depends on
the dynamic range of the transmit signal, where SCM due to small number of bands
usually has 5-6 dB advantage. You can see some calculations for ADC/DAC
requirements for DMT in T1E1.4 contributions (Ottawa, 1999).

Kind regards,

Vladimir