[EFM] Re: [EFM-OAM] New update on EFM OAM Work Item #3

Vipul,

This question is slightly off topic. This is why I've opened it up
to the wider EFM audience.

In EPON, there are multiple ONU's sending data up to a 1000BASE-X OLT.
Each ONU transmits for a few microseconds each. Is there a guarantee
that the OLT won't lose sync with the 8B/10B commas when ONU's switch
in and out? Is it expected that the OLT will lose and regain sync with
each ONU switch over?

Perhaps this is well understood and you can simply point me to a
presentation that describes this process.

Regards,
Ben

Vipul Bhatt wrote:

> Ben,
>
> I am sure MAC Control at OLT end knows at each moment which ONU is
> talking. But I am worried that if it has just one PCS error counter
> to read from, it won't be able to discern useful information from
> it. Error rates need averaging over several seconds to become a
> stable value. With ONUs taking turns to transmit, each one for a few
> microseconds, it will be difficult to get a reliable indication of
> error rate of an individual link.
>
> I will request some P2MP colleagues to answer your questions better.
> Like Hugh, I am tempted to crawl back to my photonic cave...
>
> Vipul
>
> ================

Benjamin Brown
AMCC