Re: [EFM] Minutes from PON Optics Telephone Conference - 25th October

Vipul,

I apologize in advance for weighing in on someone else's subject, but I want to
raise two questions:

1. How would compliance be tested? Would it simply be a matter of proving that
your burst mode parameters match what you say they are? Would there be limits to
the range (I hope so)?

2. How does this effect interchangeability? If one manufacturer has very tight
parameters, an installation may be working fine until a component is swapped out
for another with looser parameters and, suddenly, applications stop working.
That doesn't sound very "Ethernet-like" to me.

I fear that end customers would end up having to check these timing parameters
for each vendor's equipment, or else would have to compile lists of "compatible"
vendors - instead of just looking for the 1000BASE-nnn port type.

Hugh.