RE: [EFM] PHY Kids 2: The (sub) task-force of lost dreams

Glen,

Good note.

I would like to amplify one point. In my mind, the principal difference between selection "A, C" and "B, D" is one of "technical feasibility." As you are aware, in previous projects, this has become a sticking point when time came to move either into, or out of Working Group Ballot. In 10 Gig, the project almost ground to a halt while PHY manufacturer scrambled to provide evidence.

I, for one, will have no difficulty accepting the ability of existing, mass produced, components operating under loose timing tolerance. But, given the technical information I have seen (or not seen) to date (e.g. testing done by the FEC group), I would be forced to conclude that there no evidence that:

o Rapid Tx off and on
o Rapid AGC (especially without reset)
o Rapid bit synchronization
o Rapid alignment
o 10e-12 BER (during synchronization and after)
o Low jitter (during synchronization and after)
o and other PMA and PMD specifications (during synchronization and after)

can be simultaneously met.

In fact, in many cases, I don't even know how to make the measurements. Example, how does one ensure that a PMD can meet optical spectral width specifications by the end of this startup window when this measurement requires -- as currently specified -- time to find the average? Do we believe that the steady state operation of a laser is the same as when is moving from an off-state equilibrium to an on-state equilibrium? I don't think so.

So, if we accept option A or C, who is going to write the new measurement techniques? Who is going to validate them. Who is going to build the test equipment? Without these, can the document can not be considered "technically complete?" I don't think so.

jonathan