Etymology: Latin, from consentire
Date: 1858
1 a : general agreement : UNANIMITY <the consensus of their opinion, based on reports... from the border -- John Hersey> b : the judgment arrived at by most of those concerned <the consensus was to go ahead>
2 : group solidarity in sentiment and belief
usage The phrase consensus of opinion, which is not actually redundant (see sense 1a; the sense that takes the phrase is slightly older), has been so often claimed to be a redundancy that many writers avoid it. You are safe in using consensus alone when it is clear you mean consensus of opinion, and most writers in fact do so.

Achieving the required approval threshold and achieving consensus are two entirely different things. If all you do is achieve your vote threshold without achieving consensus you will have (1) an unhappy balloting process (2) a standard that doesn't have broad buy-in. Just getting a standard approved does not guarantee success.

Geoff