RE: [EFM] PON Optics Telephone Conference, December 5th

All-

I would support Ariel's point in spades and expand it in the following way.

A great deal of the success of Ethernet (and Local Area Networks in
general) is that (in place) they are underutilized pipes. Ethernet is
generally a pipe that is under-filled and over-provisioned. To that end,
the user connection (as opposed to the core of the network) has a generous
enough bandwidth that its limits never gets in the way of the connection
and never plays into the perceived speed equation.

I believe that this is a very basic difference between Ethernet and
services traditional provided by or based on telephone technology. This is
the major reason that I have spoken out in the past against low speed
access being included within EFM.

Ethernets have been a candidate for speed/capacity upgrade LONG before they
were anywhere close 98.8% fill on any noticeable percentage duty cycle.

Ethernet will a big win in the access space IF (and I believe only if) the
only way to speed it up is to upgrade some other portion of the system well
before it is time to buy a faster EFM.

Geoff