RE: [EFM] PON timing parameters

Gerry,

Nice chart.

I just reviewed a spec sheet for a burst mode CDR. This company claims extremely low "lock times***." But, the delay through the chip is a couple of orders of magnitude greater than normal 1000BASE-X CDRs.

I don't understand how it can be done. But, if it is possible to trade "rapid lock" against latency or delay, there could be significant benefits. This presumes that this magnitude of latency is not of concern to EFM.

Is it possible to do this?

jonathan

*** I note that there is no specification for jitter or BER. So, the low lock times might have nothing to do with the extreme latency.